Keith talks about his preferences in animals, seasons and much more.
What is his favorite food?
How often does he have his favorite food?
What is his favorite drink?
Does he drink it every day?
What is his favorite dessert?
Todd: OK, Keith, I’m going to ask you about preferences.
Todd: Which do you prefer, dogs or cats?
Keith: Well, because they’re actually friendly animals. Cats are kind of aloof.
Todd: Which do you prefer, summer or winter?
Keith: Oh, summer, definitely.
Todd: Yeah, why?
Keith: Well, because winter in Tokyo is kind of dry, cloudy. It’s not much fun.
Todd: OK. Are you a morning person or a night person?
Keith: Night person, all the way.
Todd: OK. Are you moody in the mornings?
Keith: No, I’m usually asleep in the mornings.
Todd: And what do you prefer, Japanese food or Western food?
Keith: Well, in Japan, Japanese food cause the sushi here is great.
Cats are aloof.
An ‘aloof’ person keeps distance between himself and other people, basically reserved and not friendly. Notice the following:
- When I first met her I thought she was aloof, but I understand now that she is just shy.
- He is very serious and aloof at work.
Winter in Tokyo is dry.
If a place or a climate is ‘dry’ then there is not a lot of rain or humidity. Notice the following:
- The dry weather makes my skin feel terrible.
- I have a sore throat from the dry air.
Are you a morning person or a night person?
A ‘night person’ is someone who likes to stay awake and do things at night. Notice the following:
- He never took early classes in university because he knew he was a night person.
- In the past I usually woke up early, but I have become quite a night person.
Are you moody in the mornings?
A ‘moody’ person changes her emotions or moods, sometimes happy, sometimes angry. Notice the following:
- She is difficult to be with for a long time because she is so moody.
- Why are you so moody today? Are you tired?
Do you prefer Japanese food or Western food?
‘Western food’ refers to typical food from the United States or countries in the west part of Europe. Notice the following:
- What is your favorite kind of Western food?
- I can’t eat curry again this week. Can we please eat Western food tonight?