Victor chats about his departure back home to the United States.
Is Victor afraid to fly?
Does he fly often for his job?
Where is he flying to?
How long is the flight?
What does he like to do on the plane?
Todd: OK. Victor, tomorrow you’re flying home?
Victor: Yes, that’s correct.
Todd: OK. So, are you afraid of flying?
Victor: No, flying’s fine.
Todd: Really? Back home for your job, do you fly?
Victor: No, I drive to work and to different assignments.
Todd: OK. You never have to fly to go to conventions or other cities or stuff like that?
Victor: Once or twice each year I do fly to go to conventions connected with my work.
Todd: OK. Tomorrow you have a really long flight.
Victor: That’s correct.
Todd: It’s probably what about 15 hours?
Victor: From Narita to Washington DC is 12 hours in the air.
Todd: Wow. So how do you pass the time on the plane?
Victor: On the plane, I like to sleep as much as possible.
Todd: OK. Do you take medication or just have a beer or..?
Victor: No. I don’t take any medication. I just.. I tend to stay up late the day before so that I’m so tired I will want to sleep on the plane.
Todd: Well, good strategy and I hope you have a good flight.
Victor: Thank you very much.
Are you flying home tomorrow?
To ‘fly home’ is to travel by airplane back to your country or city of origin or the place where you grew up. Notice the following:
- She is flying home to surprise her father on his birthday.
- It is really expensive to fly home from here.
What do you do back home?
We use the phrase ‘back home’ to talk about the place that we call home. Notice the following:
- When I go back home it’s like I’m on vacation, because my mother does everything.
- How often do you go back home to see your family?
as much as possible
On the plane, I like to sleep as much as possible.
If we do something ‘as much as possible’ we do it as long or as frequently as we can. Notice the following:
- She tries to help her mother as much as possible.
- Try to drink as much water as possible.
pass the time
How do you pass the time on the plane?
‘Pass the time’ refers to how we spend our time or more specifically what we do to make the time go by more quickly. Notice the following:
- She passes her time at school chatting with her friends.
- I read to pass the time between flights.
That’s a good strategy for taking long flights.
A ‘strategy’ is a plan for doing something. We usually create a strategy for dealing with a problem. Notice the following:
- She always has the best strategies for dealing with problems.
- What study strategies do you have?