Jason gives travel tips for people going to London.
How long will Todd stay?
Where should he stay?
What place has lots of history?
What place is quiet?
Where has Jason never been?
Todd: Jason, actually I’m going to England this summer.
Todd: Yeah can you give me some advice about where I should go. I’m gonna have about one week.
Jason: One week. What I suggest you do then is stay in the suburbs of London for a start, because it’s a lot cheaper. If you stay in North London then you can spend all your money on rent. And I guess you should go around Central London. That’s where all the tourist attractions are. That’s where all the nightlife is. It’s just got everything you need really, but like I said rent is way too expensive there, so.
Todd: OK, now I was thinking of taking a day trip to Oxford or Cambridge or Bath. What would you recommend?
Jason: It depends really. Bath has got a lot of history. I guess Oxford is a lot quieter, but again there is a lot of nightlife there as well. It really depends what you want to do, but Bath is good for history, definitely.
Todd: OK. What about Cambridge?
Jason: Cambridge I’m not too sure about. I haven’t been there so.
Todd: Oh, really. OK. If I want to go to Oxford or to Bath, how can I get there? Do I have to drive?
Jason: The easiest way is to get a train. It can vary how much you wanna pay really. It’s kind of similar to Japanese trains. But traveling as far as Cambridge and Bath would be quite expensive, maybe 30 pounds, which is quite a lot of money really, so.
I suggest you stay in the suburbs.
The ‘suburbs’ are the towns or areas that surround a city. They are usually calm and safe, but can be a little boring. Notice the following:
- There are a lot of beautiful new houses in the suburbs.
- I grew up in the suburbs about 20 minutes from the city.
You should go around Central London.
To ‘go around’ something is to go to one side or the other, in this case the driver should not go though Central London because maybe the traffic is bad. Usually we go around things to avoid them. Notice the following:
- We go around the lake to get to school.
- Remember to go around that part of the highway because of the construction.
Central London is where all the nightlife is.
‘Nightlife’ is what people do for entertainment at night in a city or town. This usually refers to bars and dance clubs. Notice the following:
- They had a lot of fun in Las Vegas because they love nightlife.
- There is a lot to do in my town during the day, but there is almost no nightlife.
I was thinking of taking a day trip to Oxford.
A ‘day trip’ is a short adventure where you go to your destination and return in the same day. Notice the following:
- Although they live in the suburbs they usually take a day trip to the city once a month.
- We should take a day trip to the river this weekend.
It’s similar to Japanese trains.
If two things are ‘similar’ they are alike or the almost the same in some characteristics. Notice the following:
- It tastes similar to chicken.
- It is obvious that they are sisters because they look very similar.