Trevor answers questions about what he takes to the beach.
What is his hobby?
When does he go to the beach?
What things does he do at the beach?
When did he start surfing?
How are the beaches different in Australia?
Todd: Trevor, do you like the beach?
Trevor: I love the beach. The beach is great.
Todd: OK. Why do you love the beach?
Trevor: It’s nice fresh air, beautiful water, you can play in the sand, and my hobby is surfing, so I like to go surfing.
Todd: Oh..nice. How often do you go surfing?
Trevor: I try to go as often as possible, usually every weekend.
Todd: OK. When do you go to the beach? Saturday? Sunday?
Trevor: Usually early on a Saturday morning. Try to beat the crowds.
Todd: OK. What do you do at the beach besides surfing?
Trevor: Oh, just relax on the sand, watch the people, maybe have a swim, throw a frisbee.
Trevor: Things like that!
Todd: How long have you been surfing?
Trevor: Since I was ten years old.
Todd: Wow, since you were ten. That’s great! — What do you take to the beach, when you go?
Trevor: A towel, and my hat, my sunscreen, my surfboard, wetsuit, some food and water, and maybe a radio.
Todd: OK. Now, you are from Australia. How are the beaches different in Australia than Japan?
Trevor: The beaches are much bigger and white sand, clean water, very nice.
Todd: OK. Well, sounds good. Thanks a lot Trevor.
Trevor: OK. Catch you later.
My hobby is surfing.
A ‘hobby’ is something that you do in your free time because it makes you happy. Notice the following:
- He never had a lot of time for hobbies.
- Her new hobby is making jewelry.
beat the crowds
Try to beat the crowds.
If you arrive at a place, like a shopping mall, before a lot of other people then you have ‘beaten the crowds.’ Notice the following:
- On days when there is a big sale at the shopping mall, my grandmother always arrives early to beat the crowds.
- If you go to the fair today, you should go early to beat the crowds and the heat.
What do you do on the beach besides surfing?
‘Besides’ is similar to other than. The example is asking, what other activities do you do on the beach? Notice the following:
- Do you have any other hobbies besides reading?
- Do you want anything else besides fish for dinner?
Trevor takes his towel, hat and sunscreen to the beach.
‘Sunscreen’ is a lotion that protects you from the dangerous light of the sun. Notice the following:
- How strong is your sunscreen?
- Don’t forget to put on sunscreen before you go to the beach.
catch you later
OK. Catch you later.
‘Catch you later’ is an informal way to say “I’ll see you later.” Notice the following:
- I’ll catch you later, after I finish work.
- When he walked by our beach towels, he smiled and said, “Catch you later.”