Nanju talks about his favorite fruit.
What is his favorite color?
What are the mangoes like in Japan?
How does he like to eat mangoes?
What does he think about mango juice?
How does he feel about raw mango?
Todd: OK, Nanju, I’m going to ask you about your favorites. What is your favorite color?
Nanju: My favorite color, black.
Todd: Black! Really, OK, and what is your favorite fruit?
Nanju: Fruit? OK, it’s mango.
Todd: Oh, mango.
Todd: OK. Can you get mangoes in Japan?
Nanju: No, I haven’t seen a proper mango here, because everything’s very small, that is not a very good mango, I know because in India I will get a lot of mangoes, very good taste, and variety of mangoes, I haven’t tried, I haven’t found anywhere in Japan.
Nanju: Yeah, sure.
Todd: Oh, wow. So how do you eat mango, just do you eat it raw, or do you?
Nanju: Yeah, I’ll eat it raw. The raw mango is very good.
Todd: Oh, cool. Nice. So do you have like mango juice? Is that popular?
Nanju: Yeah. But mango juice, it’s not that much good. I eat only raw mango. It will be very good, very good, very good.
I haven’t seen a proper mango here.
In this case “proper” can be replaced with “real,” “normal” or “regular.” Notice the following:
- She finally bought a proper pair of shoes and stopped wearing sandals everywhere.
- Do you have a proper plate? I hate plastic plates.
There are a variety of mangoes.
A “variety of mangoes” is a number of different types of mangoes.Notice the following:
- He likes food from a variety of countries.
- We have a variety of different games.
How do you eat mango, do you eat it raw?
To eat something “raw” is to eat it without cooking it. Notice the following:
- He eats his meat almost raw.
- Do you cook the carrots or eat them raw?
Do you have mango juice?
“Mango juice” is the liquid of the mango and the fruit mixed together to make a liquid. Usually juice is made from fruits or vegetables. Notice the following:
- Do you like tomato juice?
- He drinks orange juice every morning with his breakfast.
Is mango juice popular?
If something is “popular” a lot of people like it. Notice the following:
- That band has never been popular.
- She was very popular in high school.